What should I be aware of while price shopping?
At Comprehensive Mold Management, we regularly have people tell us they’re shopping around for the cheapest estimate that they can be quoted. We’re here to let you know that the cheapest estimate isn’t always the right estimate. Chances are, when you choose the cheapest estimate or the “best offer”, you may be getting a lower quality of work. As the saying goes, “You get what you pay for.” Checking online reviews on Angie’s List, the BBB, and talking to previous customers are great places to start. Some mold removal companies only take care of the mold.
The quote may be cheaper upfront, but if the moisture issue isn’t resolved, you may face a more severe problem down the road. Comprehensive Mold Management does all of the work start to finish. We take care of the moisture issue, remove the mold, and complete any other necessary work that is required. Typically, cheaper quotes do not include a warranty. Our work may not be the cheapest, but we do the work correctly.
If I am a renter, what should I do in regards to mold in my apartment?
The prevention of mold is definitely the responsibility of the building owner, and in turn that of the people doing maintenance. There are species of mold that are extremely dangerous, leading to needing a professional analysis before performing a cleanup in an apartment. If mold growth is severe, tenants may need to leave the unit until it is returned to a livable condition.
If you think that you may have a mold problem in your rental unit, contact your local Public Health Department. Another option if you are willing to pay, is to hire an independent party to test for mold if you are unable to get your landlord to do their due diligence.
Why should I get my air ducts cleaned?
There are several benefits to having your air ducts cleaned, making the expense worthwhile. The most common problem that customers experience with their HVAC systems include mold, pet hair, dander, dirt, pollen as well as other debris and contaminates. The collection of these contaminates over time in your air ducts contribute to breathing disorders, including asthma and allergies as they circulate throughout your home. When moisture is present, if debris is in the ducting, mold growth can form and compromise the air quality in your house. By having your air ducts cleaned it will not only provide a healthier living environment, but also extend the life of your heating system.
How does mold inside my home impact my health?
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, more than 10 million U.S. children under age 18 (14%) have ever been diagnosed with asthma; 6.8 million children still have asthma (9%). Did you know that mold exposure increases the risk for asthma in infants and children? Mold spores can spread to every corner of your house because of cross-contamination. Healthy people can experience many annoying or even dangerous symptoms due to the presence of mold. People with allergy/breathing issues, compromised immune systems, children and the elderly are especially impacted. According to the EPA, studies show that mold odors in the home can increase the rates of asthma in children up to 2.5 times and exposure to mold during infancy is linked to the development of chronic inflammation of the lung airways. Some of the other more common health conditions mold causes are skin rashes, fatigue, depression, coughing, sneezing, other flu-like symptoms and many other health conditions.
What time do you do the work? Do you work on the weekends?
Comprehensive Mold Management is open Monday – Friday from 8AM – 5PM. We are not open on weekends. If you would like to contact us during non-business hours you can either leave us a voicemail or submit a contact form through our website, and we will get back to you ASAP.
What does your warranty include?
We follow industry standard protocol, so any work we complete where we apply our mold proof coating is covered with a lifetime warranty*. If you sell your home, our work is covered with a five year transferrable warranty*. Comprehensive Mold Management is fully insured, and CMM always uses the best materials available. We use the highest quality materials available to ensure the job is done correctly.
Why do I need air testing? In what situations does it make sense?
Air testing is performed to determine the presence and concentration of mold spores in your homes air, especially when mold is not visually evident. There are also situations where individuals need proof that mold is present such as at rental properties. People with allergies, asthma/other respiratory issues, compromised immune systems, children and the elderly who are particularly sensitive to mold, air testing is recommended. Other individuals are just looking for peace of mind and request mold testing air quality services.
Testing is typically done prior to and after remediation work is performed to validate the elimination of the mold threat. Most experts including the EPA suggest only testing under very specific conditions. In general, a moisture and mold inspection by a qualified professional is far more useful in determining if a mold problem exists. Comprehensive Mold Management offers both air and surface testing. We provide a report which includes spore concentration, types of mold and the health effects that can be caused based on the specific types of mold.
Can your company do work year round?
Comprehensive Mold Management conducts work year-round. There are some cases when there is extreme weather or temperatures, it forces us to schedule work accordingly. We also offer certain services that would only be possible during warmer weather, such as grading seeing as the ground cannot be frozen or extremely wet.
What procedure do you use for air duct cleaning?
There are several different procedures to clean air ducts, however Comprehensive Mold Management only uses the proper techniques to ensure it is done correctly and efficiently. We use two different methods depending on the design and layout of the home, these methods include direct contact and negative air. (Both methods are equally efficient.)
These are the steps we use to ensure the air ducts in each home are cleaned properly:
Step 1: Clean the furnace/air conditioner.
• After testing the system for proper operation, we will disconnect the power before opening the unit for safety.
• Vacuum the interior surfaces of the Furnace/Air Conditioner.
• Clean the cooling coils with a HEPA vacuum and a coil cleaner.
• Clean the Blower unit.
Step 2: Clean the supply and return registers and grills.
• Remove wall, ceiling and Floor registers.
• Wash Register with cleaner and rinse.
Step 3: Clean the supply and return ducts.
• Clean all air ducts using powerful duct cleaning equipment. (Using Direct Contact or Negative Air Method.)
Step 4: Install electrostatic air filter and odor control products. (Optional)
• Decontaminate cleaned ducts with sealant, and Odor Deodorize
OR please click here for more info.
Can my pet stay in the home for air duct cleaning?
Most pets can stay in the home, unless they have breathing issues. All exotic birds need to be removed, as they are extremely sensitive to our cleaning products.
Are you a local company?
Comprehensive Mold Management is a local, family-owned and operated company founded in Rochester, NY. We have established an unmatched reputation for excellence in the mold industry.
Are you licensed and insured?
Comprehensive Mold Management is certified and fully insured.
Why do I need to provide my email address?
We request your email address so that we can email over a copy of the estimate with a detailed breakdown of the work. Also, we send over the paperwork (Contract, ST-124 – if required) to your email, so that it can be filled out electronically. In addition, if you pay by credit card we email over a copy of the receipt and paid invoice after the completion of the work. (The paid invoice is your warranty.) Furthermore, the easiest way to access the owner, Paul Wagner is via email seeing as he is out at estimates during the day. He checks his email regularly, and will respond to any questions you may have in a timely manner.
Do you sub out any of the work?
Comprehensive Mold Management is unique because we offer our customers a turn-key solution to mold problems. We have decades of experience in the construction trades, an asset that allows us to see problems and causes other companies often miss such as structural defects or drainage issues. We have the experience and expertise to perform the corrective work ourselves rather than subcontract it out - a practice that saves our customers considerable time and money. In the event outside professional assistance is necessary such as in asbestos removal, we have established strategic alliances with the best contractors in the area who mirror our commitment to customer satisfaction.
What to Look Out for When Searching For a Mold Remediation Company
There are many different tactics and sales techniques used when trying to sell home improvement projects such as mold removal. Mold remediation can be a costly expense and you want to make sure that you are hiring an honest, legitimate and experienced company. It is not a project where you just want to go with the cheapest quote, you do not want to cut costs for quality. Here are some tips to keep in mind and questions to ask when searching for a Rochester Environmental or Mold Remediation company:
- Ask how many employees work for the company. (You want to check they have staff in house that can complete the mold work versus subcontracting it out.)
- Verify the number of years that they have been in business and the number of years they have been conducting mold remediation. (Many companies have recently just started offering mold remediation. You want to make sure that you are hiring a company that has experience with this type of work, to ensure it is done properly.)
- Check to make sure that they are fully ensured and can provide a certificate of insurance.
- Conduct a thorough background check by checking online reviews through the BBB, Angie’s List and other reputable sources that can provide reviews and insight into the company.
- Beware of scare tactics. Saying things like; “You Have a Big Problem Here!” or “Your home isn't safe or healthy to be in.” before they've even done a thorough visual inspection or tested for mold.
- Ask the contractor for references from customers that have had similar projects completed.
- Watch out for mold removal companies that only take care of the mold. The quote may be cheaper upfront, but if the moisture issue isn’t resolved, you may face a more severe problem down the road. Comprehensive Mold Management does all the work start to finish. We take care of the moisture issue, remove the mold, and complete any other necessary work that is required.
- Inquire to make sure that the company offers a warranty. With cheaper quotes, sometimes there is no warranty associated with the mold remediation. Our work may not be the cheapest, but we do the work correctly. We follow industry standard protocol, so any work we complete is covered with a lifetime warranty* where our mold proof coating is applied.
- Beware of companies that do not follow the proper standards or protocol, having a need for less materials. Comprehensive Mold Management is fully ensured, a NYS licensed mold remediation contractor and CMM always uses the best materials available. We use the highest quality materials available to insure the job is done correctly.
If you have any concerns or questions about mold growth or moisture issues in your home, call Comprehensive Mold Management at 585-235-6182. Make sure to educate yourself and do a thorough check before hiring any contractor, to protect your biggest investment, your home.
(*Lifetime Warranty applies to wherever our mold proof coating is applied.)