There are several indicators throughout homes, which can alert future homeowners that there may be a potential mold problem.
Here are 5 questions to ask yourself during your open house tour.
- Does the home have a musty or damp smell?
Take a walk through out the home to see if you notice a musty or damp smell, particularly in the basement. This tends to be a strong indicator that mold may be present in the home.
- During the winter months, is there ice damming around the soffits or gutters?
Ice damming and icicles are an indicator that there is poor ventilation or insufficient insulation in the home which can lead to attic mold growth.
- Do you see any dark discoloration around the ceiling lines or corners of the home?
Discoloration or spotting is a strong sign that there may be mold growth.
- Is there condensation on the windows?
Condensation on the windows, indicates that there may be high humidity or a moisture issue inside of the home.
- Is there standing water in the basement?
If there is standing water in the basement for more than 24-48 hours, it can lead to mold growth.
If you do decide to purchase the home and you notice any of these signs, make sure to reach out to a mold professional.